BPC N52 Turbo
Bimmer Performance Center N52 Turbo System Development
[B]Ok guys in this thread we will be sharing the continued development of our N52 race turbo kit. [/B] Starting May 2017, The goal over the next 6 weeks is to finish the track prep for our E90. Once the car is track ready we will begin our durability testing at the 505hp level we are currently at. Dan will be driving with in car video. He has 6 years of experience at our home track VIR (Virginia International Raceway). Most of which has been with the BPC S62 swapped E30. We are all excited to see how our Turbo E90 holds under race conditions. We are hopeful it will make us proud and holds together for its intended use. Once we have completed a couple track events with good results, we will be removing the hot side to duplicate for resale. After we are able to come up with a price and time frame for production, we will start a group buy for members. Please enjoy the journey with us and please keep your questions/comments professional and on topic.
You can also follow along on E90Post here by Clicking this link here!
____The goal of this page is to keep you all up to date on the current development of the N52 platform, We know there has been talk for a while now, and many of you waiting eagerly to see whats next for the N52 after our cylinder head video on our youtube channel. We got a lot of positive feedback from a few outlets and have decided to move forward with development of a turbo system. We've already done amazing things with this motor in its naturally aspirated form and are eager to get a prototype system up and running to torture test on our dyno, at the VIR race track, and prove its longevity on the street. Prototype is now finished, and we have made over 506 WHP on the stock internals through a 6 speed transmission! NO port injection, NO fuel pump upgrade. We are using only the best turbocharger on the market, and will make it as affordable as possible with our main focus being reliability and consistent power with the quickest response. The most crucial part of the system is the turbo of course, so why skimp out? BPC sought out the BEST turbocharger to use for this application. Why did we pick this turbo? Have a look: MOTORSPORTS USE
|Designed specifically for competitive racing use, the EFR 7163 is Borg Warner's newest addition to the EFR family. Latest generation compressors combined with state of the art 'Mixed-Flow Gamma-Ti Turbine Wheel' design allows for remarkable spool and huge powerbands. This unique turbocharger is literally an off-the-shelf Indycar turbocharger, exclusively used by all 2014/2015 IRL teams.|
- Redline Time Attack
- World Time Attack
- ALMS LMP2 champions in 2011, 2012, and 2013!
- This exact turbo was used on the 2014 Verizon series Indy car champion Will Power's winning car.
- Borg warner is an OEM supplier for Porsche, Audi, BMW, John Deere and Cat! Talk about torture testing.
- Compressor Wheel Type: FMW - Forged milled extended tip compressor wheel
- Compressor Wheel OD (Exducer): 71mm
- Compressor Wheel (Inducer): 57mm
- Turbine type: Low Inertia Gamma-Ti Turbine Wheel
- Turbine Wheel OD: 63mm
- Stainless Steel Sand cast Turbine Housing
- Max Flow Rate: 60 lb/min
- Compressor Inlet : 2.5" hose coupler
- Compressor outlet: 2.0" hose coupler outlet
- Turbine Inlet: 0.85 A/R V-Band (Internal WG)
- Turbine outlet: GT-Vband (aka small 3" vband)
- Built-in BOV = less mess, no need for external blow off valves, plumbing, and recirculation.
- Aluminum bearing housing torque capability is as good or better than cast iron.
- Mixed Flow Gamma-Ti turbine wheel = Quickest boost response because of light weight design
- Titanium exhaust wheel is just as light as the billet compressor wheel attached to the other end of the shaft (which is also titanium), and that gives this turbo a 1:1 weight ratio - super fast response, stiffness to weight ratio, and vibration damping characteristics.
- Military-grade dual ceramic ball bearing assembly with silver plated metal cage = Increased thrust capacity, durability, turbine efficiency. The ball bearing turbo is most noticed under initial spool up and transient on - off - on throttle response. It is far superior to journal bearing in this respect.
- Stainless steel turbine housing = Increased efficiency, Improved durability (LONGEVITY) , Corrosion resistance! No rusty turbo housings.
- Water cooled light-weight Aluminum bearing housing
- Large internal waste gate 42mm! Its not your standard internal waste gate that you're use to seeing on factory cars.
- V-Band Turbine Housing allows for easy install and removal with no gasket leaks or blowouts.
- Borg Warner EFR 7163 Turbo, V-band, Externally gated .85 AR - ceramic coated 2000 degree stainless exhaust housing
- Turbosmart BOV block off plate
- Turbo manifold (still in development, working cost options - MIG / TIG / Cast)
- 3" hot side intercooler piping & Front mount intercooler
- 3" Downpipe to factory cat back system
- N54 intake manifold required
- N54 Charge pipe required
- N54 Front mount intercooler required
- N54 Radiator required
- Turbosmart electronic BOV controller
- Innovate SGC-1 Boost controller / Wideband failsafe
- BPC software tune
- Upgraded MAP Sensor (2.5 Bar)
- Upgraded fuel injectors
- Pre-Made oil & water lines
- Optional OEM N54 oil cooler package
Click to see more: Turbo Kit Fabrication
Click to see more: N54 trans, Custom clutch, and E90 M3 rear subframe
Click to see more: Roll Cage Fabrication